Monday, March 25, 2013

"Good news...."



Working in a MNC makes you come across diverse human behavior and which makes yuou both proud and guilty of your customs and traditions.

We Indians are always portrayed as quite emotional and dramatic people especially when it comes to our family and relations. And we somehow take pride in our those strong bonds. But I still somehow feel we have a lot to learn as far as events surrounding birth of child are concerned.
 
It still seem quite a taboo to share the news that you are expecting a child with your friends and others.
 
In last few months , couple of my french colleagues have become parents and I found it quite amusing, but at the same time satisfying, the way my manager over there and other colleagues were sharing the news affront in the weeklies, even before the couple have delivered. They were equally excited in the way they used to say " He is on leave and we don't know when but soon we should expect the good news". Of course they had a shyness in their voice but the excitement made you feel and sense the strong bond they all socially shared.
 
In India on the other hand its all hush hush affair till the child is born. People are not at all comfortable in involving people before hand the actual event has occurred. 

A close friend of mine is expecting and after coming to know from another common friend I congratulated him and his first reply was "Please don't share with anyone else, its quite a personal affair". I won't say I was not taken aback but somehow I could understand his reservations in making it public or letting others participate in it.
 
Me and one of my colleague wondered about this socially different behavior we encountered.

Why our elders and society teaches us to be so secretive and uncomfortable about such things? With due respect to the privacy of each individual , what could be the reason for the same ?
 
Foremost that we could think of was the fact that we are scared that something bad might happen if the news is made public. (Seems insane right ?). In India people are more jealous of others success than they are happy of their own achievements. So they feel any ill - thought may prove harmful for the baby thus its advisable to keep the thing under wraps for as long as possible. India in its earlier times had a huge number of infant deaths or miscarriages (its still not fully eradicated) and instead of accepting it wholly as a result of poor medical facilities, we get comfort in our superstitious beliefs. 
 
Second , people feel embarrassed to touch anything that is even remotely related to sex. In a country where the sole purpose of sex is still to procreate , the reverse is also true. Ask any recently married guy jokingly "When are you giving the good news ? " and don't be surprised to get the most embarrassed look that person may have ever given.
 
Ok I am not implying that we people need to be totally forthcoming about our pro creating activities with everyone , I duly respect the notion of keeping your personal life reserved but what I personally feel is that people in India should stop portraying these things as one of the most heinous crime that you may have committed and be so uncomfortable about such things with your friends and well wishers.

5 comments:

  1. Hahaha! While you are suggesting people to be more open and comfortable about it and not be embarrassed, your last paragraph shows you're feeling a li'l flustered too :D

    And well, I have to agree that while I was expecting, I followed all the superstitions too. And not just because elders told me to, but because I saw things happening to me. Well, you could say that your health is so varying in that time, that you could be falling sick naturally. But, you just want to be sure of everything and not leave anything to chance. More like, better be careful than sorry later...

    But, now on the other side of bridge, I can easily say "Ya, don be superstitious. Be open. Be frank." :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After all I am an Indian too :-D ..but seriously I am somewhat ok with being reserved about it but what I don't agree with the sense of embarassment and discomfort that prevails it ... Thanks for sharing your experience :)

      Delete
  2. He he ...kya sahi point pakadte ho Sir jee day to day life ke .Its so verry true.Personally , I feel people open up after their marriage or parenthood.I have seen my male colleagues who are father already discussing with expecting colleagues about their due date etc very comfortably and the reply is equally comfortable.On the other hand , unmarried people are still not very comfortable around expecting ladies.This I have seen a lot since many of my friends in office are going through this phase.Outside office, I have seen people ( married and parents already)still shy - about the whole parent thing.So, I guess my theory is not universal and depends upon individual to individual - but yes , its definitely rooted in Indian mindset.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm...interesting observation. I was going to write a long comment but realized it was completely off the main track. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still would have loved to read that comment ;)

      Delete