Saturday, March 2, 2013

How will it change ?

 
 
With the spurt of rapes still continuing in the National Capital of India and our government being as always inactive in curbing these atrocities against Women, I wonder how are we going to change the mindset of men when we are so surrounded by traditions , culture and even government policies which don't consider Women at par with Men.
 
A friend's mom need to visit him in Singapore for couple of months and I was asked to check for the Visa formalities for her and I was surprised to find that since she is a housewife and will be travelling alone without her husband , Singapore Embassy requires her husband to present a  No Objection Certificate stating that he has no objection to her visit.
 
I simply don't understand what is the logic behind her requiring the permission of her husband. What if he does not allow her , won't she be allowed to visit her own son ? Has it been the other way around that her husband was travelling alone,had he too need to submit a NOC from his wife ?
 
I honestly did not expect a rule like that from a developed country like Singapore.
 
Another funny thing happened today while I was at an Aadhar centre getting my Aadhar enrollment done. There was a lady there, who too had came for the same and she had her face covered with her dupatta , as you normally find village women in India. When her trun came , she had to get her photo clicked and she was quite reluctant to remove her dupatta as she was accompanied by a male who was elder and as per Indian customs a lady should not show her face to her elders. It was quite amusing with people trying to convince her and they finally had to ask the elder to turn around.
 
Although it was amusing but at the same time quite saddening to see. And this has been the state of our country for ages.

7 comments:

  1. ya it is sad to see all these restrictions under the garb of traditions and culture. Makes me sick too. Glad to see u back on blog though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently had an argument with a person about the difference between Indian and American culture. The topic started from rapes in India. The person got defensive about India and said we have a much larger percentage of stable marriages and lower divorce rate. I countered saying that in America women have the right to divorce easily , in India divorce is a social taboo. Girl's parents ask them to adjust with husband. It is not a relation but an agreement, that one has to fulfill with all terms and condition applied. The person gave me that look that I am a pseudo Indian but just couldn't get guts enough to say it. I wanted to say to him just because I am trying to mix good things of two cultures and make one of my own you judge me...Be mature.
    I also hate the Misandry that has started after the rape incidence , Don't hate guys , ask parents to treat girls and boys equally,It develops an inferiority complex in girls which they fight all life......Sorry for the long comment I got lost in emotions I assume...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vidur you are echoing exactly my thoughts.... We Indians either consider everything with the Western culture as wrong or blindly follow it as the absolute truth whereas the need is to take the best of both worlds and learn from each others mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Things will change guys :) ...When people like Jana Sir would write a blog , and Vidur and Sid will comment , because you question such taboos and not adhere to them mindlessly .Because in your family and friends, you won't let this happen.You know why.Because you are educated and you can differentiate between the right and wrong.And people like you are multiplying.So carry on with an optimism , argue with people like Vidur did , give them some food for thought , and tell people around how important education is.I, as a woman,despite all my misgivings about our society , is counting upon guys like you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And welcome back Jana Sir , loved the picture ..did you click it?

    ReplyDelete