Thursday, August 29, 2013

The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald



The Great Gatsby is 1925 novel by F Scott Fitzgerald
The book was recommended to me by my fellow blogger and friend Maverick and since recently a motion picture was released based on the same, so I was also eager to read it before watching the film.
The book is reminiscent of a classic with its elaborate and almost poetic rendition of nature and surroundings and is considered quite popular for creating and depicting the period before the constitution of the American Dream.
Its the story of an extremely rich guy Jay Gatsby, narrated in the words of his neighbor , Nick Carraway. Nick was a bond salesman who was trying to make his own on the East side of America and Gatsby was his next door neighbor who used to throw lavish parties, full with sea of people every day, which used to run till wee hours of next day. Nick too got invited to one of these parties , where he finds that most of the guests don't know Gatsby and have only heard unconfirmed rumors about his claim to fame and inheritance. 
Nick initially thought that Gatsby was friendly to him due to their common war background but later gets to know that his proximity was more due to the fact that Gatsby once had a small fling with Nick's cousin Daisy in past , who was now married with a kid to Tom Buchanan ; And Gatsby was still in love with her and Nick could be instrumental in getting them together.
So the book covers how their relation and past unfolds leading to intense drama and murder.
To be honest it cannot be termed as a great read but at the same time it had some uniqueness which makes one glued to reading it.
I liked the flow of the story despite the fact that the story has not much to offer. But as I said it had a classic sense of drama which narrates a simple period story at its own comfortable pace. 
The fact that its been told from the perspective of Nick Carraway instead of Gatsby gives an added punch to the book.
I will rate it as a light read and one that should be enjoyed by ardent readers.
Next up will try to see the motion picture to give visual to the imaginations that the book has created.

11 comments:

  1. Like the background. So much soothing and more readable :)
    The Great Gatsby, haven't read, and from your description, will not try either. Classics are so detailed, they get boring for me.

    Can you suggest any book which is a good travelogue? Preferrably of a city/state outside India. I know you're a big fan of William Darlymple but he wrote mostly of India...so, any other?
    -Hope

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are couple of books by William Darlymple like "In Xanadu" and "From the Holy Mountain" which are non India based but kind of historic and based around religion.

    With what I explored on Goodreads you can check these... first two by a Pulitzer winning writer Alice Steinbach ,

    Without Reservations: The Travels of an Independent Woman
    Educating Alice: Adventures of a Curious Woman

    Then there is Seven Years in Tibet by Heinrich Harrer

    Neither Here Nor There: Travels in Europe by Bill Bryson

    Unfortunately I have not yet read any of these...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! You have a big list. Good! :) Will definitely check them out.

      Smiles,
      Hope

      Delete
  3. I feel like many other classics, this book too was a tad over-rated. Anyway, it was an enjoyable read and I agree with you when you say it was made for ardent readers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like the background.. Yes is ferry beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi. Long time no see. What's up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes , have become bit reserved ..so don't feel like sharing anything :)

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the ideas your share here
    So far, I am looking for a source of reference on various websites
    Now I have found what I was looking for all this time
    I keep the spirit to strive to be the best, one of which is a reference from your idea that really helped me.
    Once again I want to say thank you
    rebana jepara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your topic quite interesting to read
    I hope to receive your posts via email upadate
    What is the address of your feed, I want to subscribe via email?
    Your writing can be an inspiration to me, once again thank you

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Blog
    Investment is one of the best ways to achieve financial freedom. For a beginner there are so many challenges you face. It’s hard to know how to get started. Trading on the Cryptocurrency market has really been a life changer for me. I almost gave up on crypto currency at some point not until I got a proficient trader Bernie Doran, he gave me all the information required to succeed in trading. I made more profit than I could ever imagine. I’m not here to converse much but to share my testimony, I invested $5000.00 and got back $30,500.00 within 5 days of investment. His strategies and signals are the best and I have gained more knowledge. If you are new to cryptocurrency I would recommend you can reach to him through Gmail : BERNIEDORANSIGNALS@GMAIL.COM or his WhatsApp : +1424(285)-0682 , tell him I referred you
    πŸ“ŠπŸ“ŠπŸ“Š
    πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ˜Ž

    ReplyDelete