Friday, November 21, 2008

Will it still be called White House??


One thing I cannot get into my tiny mind is why the color of a person is so sensationalized by the media. The whole US elections was projected as the quest to have the first Black person as President. So when he won instead of giving credit to his philosophies, ideologies, manifesto etc, I felt his color was single most quality that made him get noticed among the voters. And that was not enough , just few weeks after that there was a news of US getting the first black Supreme Court CJ. Again the stress here was on the word black.

Ok, I agree that there was a time that people were discriminated on the basis of their color and it really should act as a motivation for others when they see those people getting recognized or appreciated or holding important positions but I see highlighting the word black every time as a kind of racism.
Somewhere that word acts as a derogatory remark to that person's capabilities or qualities. Somewhere I sense people saying "Oh , he is Black that's why"

Few months back, I was reading a blog written by some Bengali living in US and she recalled an incident that occurred at one of the get together of Bengali people that they were holding. The author said that there was a couple in their community who never used to stop talking about Obama like "How great he is..How wonderful he is going to be for US and World etc". But that day that couple was quite silent. The author on inquiring with others about the reason found that their daughter was getting married to some American, which mind you those NRI people (Bengali's who were assembled there) were quite appreciative of, since they took it as a status symbol to have a foreigner as your relative and that to a SIL (Son - In - Law). But this couple were quite upset because this guy was Black. So the irony was that these people on one hand were so excited with the fact that a Black guy was going to lead the Super power but they cannot accept the fact that their SIL is going to be a Black guy.

And I think this is still the case with a majority of people.

So somewhere I feel that repeated mention of the word black to denote Obama etc is just another kind of racism that is appreciating the achievements of these people but somehow in a sarcastic manner.

So as the cartoon asks , I don't think I will be surprised if they change the name of the building from White House to Black House :) but I will then like them to paint it black too :)

Note: These are all my opinions and if I hurt somebody then that was not intentional.

1 comment:

  1. Haanji sir...it will still be called white house :) :) and wont paint it black :)...kaafi ganda sa bhi lagega black colour ka house ;)

    ReplyDelete