Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Jaago Re!

Most of you must have seen the Advertisement in which a a guy serves tea to a bunch of people saying that "Are ye so rahe hai, inhe chai peelao". And then the people protest that they are not sleeping, hearing which he replies that "On election day if you are not voting then you are sleeping".
I am almost going to complete 24 years of my life and I am yet to take part in the process of selecting the representatives for the largest democracy in this world. The reason being(actually its no reason) I always thought that you need a Voter ID card to vote and due to laziness on my part and lack of information from Election Commission, till now I din't get the opportunity to get myself one. The last time the census people came to my place, I was underage and when they had the session at a nearby community center, I din't have my name in the roll list of my constituency and after that recently when I went after seeing a notice on the notice board of my society, there wasn't even a single bird chirping there (I did went to the right address, right place and on right time :) ).
So after seeing this Ad, I logged onto the website and checked out the procedure. Initially I thought that its a government initiative but actually its an effort by a non profit NGO. The procedure is very simple, fill some information and submit and they will mail you a form which you have to fill (most of the columns are already filled from the information you entered earlier) and submit at your electoral office.
Now after filling the info and getting the form , I thought on submitting this I will get the voter card but then I read the documents clearly :- P and I found out that on submitting the form, I will get my name entered in the roll list of my constituency and then on further exploring the site (it was on the first page :- P), I came to know that you DON'T NEED A VOTER CARD to vote. All you need to have is your name in the roll list and need to carry an identity proof while voting. Voter card is just an identity proof and if you don't have it you can use your driving license etc.
This site has many other features , like once you submit the form , you inform them and they will keep a track of your status and keep you updated too and many more very useful features.
So in case you have not got your name on the roll list yet or you need information about anything related to election etc, just log on to this website and explore.
Believe me its a very convenient and great initiative .
So WAKE UP..there is still time. And as always "Better LATE than NEVER"

The link to the site http://www.jaagore.com/

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Sandeep. When you sent the link to me, even I explored the site. It's a really gr8 initiative. I think many of us want to vote but don't because of many such silly myths. Even I haven't voted yet because I thought that a Voter ID Card/ getting your name registered is a really long and strenuous process.
    Now, I finally have all of these removed.
    Everyone, if you don't have a card, please note that there are 13 other proofs from which you can take anyone and vote.
    Please do vote. It won't take much of your time, but do a great favour to the country you live in.

    ReplyDelete