Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Photography learnings



Its now almost an year since I bought myself a Digital Camera and since then I have been to a lot places.

In those visits I clicked some good ,some bad, some worst and some pictures that touched me.

I think most of us and I am very proud to say that I can generalise this without being specific to any of the genders, have a inclination towards photography. Its more like music that there comes an age in everyones life when they feel like being a photographer.

Although I always felt that phtotography is more of a Being-There-At-The-Right-Time kind of stuff but yes I do appreciate the effort that a photographer puts to capture the best shot irrespective of the quality of the equipment and situation.

So over this year I have learnt few things about photography that I want to always keep in mind.

Just jotting those points for constant reference:
  • Paris or rather France was my first trip in which I carried a Digi Cam and thats where I learnt two lessons.
    • First , date and time stamps on the photos completely ruin them. Being a first timer I forgot to switch it off and today I have to view my Paris trip photos with those watermarks permanently fixed.
    • Its good to capture photos with someone posing in them. They make the trip more memorable. I have an habit of clicking shots of places without any person (known) posing in them, which although good but at times reduces the essence of the trip.
  • Using flash stabalizes the photo especially at high ISO. May sound quite trivial, low light, use flash but at times even when the light is fine and in auto mode the flash is not needed , even then its better to manual set the flash for stable pictures.
  • My trip to Agra last weekend was the first time when I clicked pictures of huge monuments. There I learned that
    • Maintaining the symmetry is so important. Always try to click from the center line for the cliche shot.
    • Not only the symmetry., make sure that you are holding the camera horizontal to the ground . Even a little tilt can spoil the complete picture.
    • But having said that you must experiment with the angles that is not holding to the center line but try to keep correct proportions.
    • Less sunshine is better for clicking monuments. Unfortunately I had to click during broad daylight. So always make sure that you visit the monuments at early morning or late afternoon time.
  • Don't hesitate to experiment. More you experiment more you learn what not to do.

For sure Photography is fun and nice passion. If possible do go through the free e -guide for photography from the national geographic sites.


4 comments:

  1. I feel so good to read your photographic expeditions and the daily things you post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes,you are right...everyone seems to want to photograph...someday or the other!!looking forward to more pics from your digiCam...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr photographer ...cool pic again..

    ReplyDelete