Monday, June 6, 2011

Hawa Mahal.....

If it was Taj Mahal last weekend then this weekend it was time of Hawa Mahal at Jaipur.

I have lived in Jaipur for 3 years 91-94 and arguably Jaipur is one city where you can never get bored. Its so full of interesting places that no matter for how long you have lived there you will never get full of visiting places.

This weekend I went to Jaipur to visit my sister who is working there and one thing on my agenda was to click Hawa Mahal. 





Hawa Mahal clicked by my Sister
  
Hawa Mahal or the Palace of Winds was built by Maharaja Pratap Singh in 1799 as a tribute to Lord Krishna, Thats why the shape looks like the crown of Lord Krishna. The Palace was part of the Ladies Mahal and was mainly built to let the ladies of the family view the proceedings of the market as they had to follow the strict rules of Purdah system according to which they cannot come in front of outsiders and had to keep themselves covered always. So as you can see from the pic that it has lot of windows where the womenfolk used to sit and beacuse of these windows the place is full of air and hence the name Hawa Mahal



Spot the Pigeons sitting on the Windows
 This too was clicked by my sis.

Although I went past it at the best time possible i.e. in the evening when the light was perfect but I couldn't click it myself as I was driving and we couldn't stop as we have to go to Govind Dev Ji Mandir for the Aarti. So I asked my sis to click and luckily that was the best photo that we could manage of Hawa Mahal. Later when it was dark we came back and although Hawa Mahal was looking beautiful with all the lightning but I couldn't click a good shot because of the lack of light.



Hawa Mahal at Night
  Govind Dev Ji temple is situated inside the City Palace complex of Jaipur. City Palace was the official residence of the king of Jaipur. The temple is dedicated to Lord Krishna and every day the Aarti is offered at 7 different times and the remarkable thing is that every time the dieties are decorated in different form and clothes.



Govind DevJi, Jaipur
 
One thing in the Mandir complex which I found quite fascinating was that there was tree in front of the Hanuman temple which was full of bats. And they were big in size unlike the smaller ones I once saw at Bandhavgarh Fort. Again because of the low light I couldn't capture it properly.



Bats at Govind DevJi temple
  The black thing that you can see hanging from the tree are bats. I took the last one with flash as I was fearing the flash light might produce some unwanted reaction from the bats. Nevertheless that one wasn't good either.



These are just some of the places that I happen to visit but there are many more in and around Jaipur and just sharing some more pics that I clikced.

Albert Hall Museum

Entrance to Govind DevJi temple
 We then had dinner at one of the restauarnt where we used to dine when we lived in Jaipur and it was nice way to remember all those days.

PS: You can click on the photos to see the original sizes.

3 comments:

  1. the night pic and the one with pigeons is too good...though lil bit more lighting would have worked even better

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Maverick - Yes I agree that light would have helped a lot..also a better camera and photographer may have done more justice too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am slowly starting to see a faint trace of my style, the way I approach a theme and execute it. But at this stage it is like a barely there whisper and I am looking forward to discovering more of it and to see how your style develops:-)

    ReplyDelete