Sunday, June 12, 2011

Update on Books I have read...

Its been real long since I updated about the books that I have read or reading. Infact so long that it was hard for me to locate which was last book about which I updated :(
And I found that I stopped updating long time back last year so I have not written about most of the books last year (I have read close to 25 books last year :)).


So I have decided I will restart from the books that I have read this year and in case anything strikes me about what I read last year I will definitely write a post about it :)
Infact just while searching my blog , I noticed that these posts do help me a lot in recapping what was the book all about, the story, interesting facts etc. So definitely something I must do whenever I complete any book.


While looking for what all books I need to update about, I was really disappointed to note that out of the 12 books that I have to read in this first half of the year (as per the library plan I am subscribed to) I have only managed to read just 4 books :( :(


Nevertheless here is the update...


"From the Holy Mountain " by William Darymple.


A nice travelogue from one of the most contempary travel writer of this generation. This book covers his travel across the conflict trodden Middle East, tracking the ancient Christian sites. He follows the same path as followed by 7th Century traveller and monk John Moschos and bring forth how Christanity is almost on the bringe of eradictation from the holy land, from where it once originated.




William Darymple recreates the landscape, terrains, cultures, people so beautifully that it seems you are yourself travelling alongwith him.


The only drawback I personally find with his writing is that he fails to link a story and instead makes it too obvious that you are reading a non-fiction.


Nevertheless a nice read...


Next up was the man booker prize winner "Life of Pi" by Yann Martel.


Life of Pi is the story of Piscine Mortel Patel, an Indian boy who lived in Pondicherry (modern day Pudducherry) alongwith his family. His father owned a zoo. Due to India's political emergency of 70's his father decides to sell it off and migrate to Canada with some of the animals and his family. Its during this trip that they meet with a sea disaster and Pi is left stranded on a life boat with a Zebra, a female Orangutan, a Hyena and a young Royal Bengal Tiger for more than 200 days.


In the initial year of his growing, Pi religiously follows three religions, Hinduism, Christanity and Islam. And his undiluted devotion for the three and the depiction of how religion is not only confided to only those who are born with it but is free for all to pratcise is truly worth reading.




A truly riveting tale of a boys struggle to survive. Keeps you binded and interested. The way the writer describes various animals , their behavior and their surrounding is really commendable. Very rightly in the league of Man Booker Winners.


Next came the spy thriller which is touted as the best spy book ever
"The Spy who came from the Cold" by John Le Carre.


Its indeed a nice book and it seems you are reading a Hollywood movie. The book is quite old so actually its other way around i.e. you can sense that what you see in most of Hollywood spy movies are somewhat inspired from it. Not in story but the character sketches, the aura thats created, locations etc have the essence of this book.
Well the story is not that griping or suspense filled , infact its seems quite a straight forward read but yes it does have a special touch which makes you feel intrigued and plugged to read it continously.


Recently I completed " The Old Man & His God" by Sudha Murty


Sudha Murty is wife of Infosys founder Narayan Murty. She is a very notable writer and social worker. She has written may non-fiction books sharing her experiences and incidents that have occured in her life.

In Sudha Murty's own words, "People often ask me how it is that so many interesting things happen only to me. To them I reply that if you have a sensitive mind and record your observations regularly, you will see your life too is a vast storehouse of stories."

This summarises very well this book , which is collection of short stories rather experiences that Sudha Murty has experienced during the course of her life and work. All of them are quite touching and inspiring. It also contains a story on how Narayan Murty had a change of ideology which eventually led to the formation of the hugely successful Infosys.

Its a nice short read to learn about various human traits and characters that exists in this society.


Now I have started with The Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth. Its another best selling thriller. Having already read Afghan by the same author I am really looking forward to it.

2 comments:

  1. Nice ..I ll look fwd to your updates on books ..so that I can also buy some nice literature ..I am also , getting back to book reading these days..albeit slowly.My tryst is mostly confined to Ruskin bond though :)...
    And i agree wholeheartedly,blogging helps you recapping the book, recalling at a later point, the delightful points of the book and that was the reason , I also liked to write about the movies I watched and books I read :)
    I have watched the movie adaptation of "The Day of Jackal": and I don't know if its as intriguing as the boo, but Its one of those rare edge -of the seats movie one must watch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :)

    Well so far the book is quite good....Just the only dampner is that he has already told the end in the starting pages and now I am only left in finding how it happens :)

    ReplyDelete