Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Jack of all trades , Master of some...

Oflate I have decided that I will pick up few subjects and develop a mastery of them. May be even pursue a higher degree in it or write articles or books on them but foremost study them thoroughly.

While we were completing our education in school and then in college we studied a lot of subjects. Some we liked , some we din't but all of them were read with the sole purpose of scoring good grades or marks.

Still in school I used to grasp a lot of subjects with utmost interest and devotion but in college due to the culture, teaching methods and my laziness I could never develop a dedicated interest in any of the subjects. Its not that none of them fascinated me but I was somewhat caught between procastination and finding the answer to the question why am I studying it, which by the time I realised I was already working at some place which din't need any of that :)

Well while in college itself I have made up that I will revisit my college curriculum some day to study some of the subjects thoroughly . For that I even retained some of the books I bought in college but either I lost some of them to people who had younger brothers studying engineering or never "found" the time.

But now I have decided that I will pick up some subjects. I  agree that I wanted this from start but the motivation for the same came after I started watching the sitcom "Big Bang Theory". The sitcom is about four geeks ,3 of whom are Scientist and the fourth one is an engineer from MIT. The comedy revolves about their life. One of them, Sheldon who has an IQ of 197, is the most irritating but awesomely knowledgable. Nevertheless seeing them it made me appreciate their knowledge and the fact that they have total command of their subject and from their I got the idea to master some subjects.

So now coming to the subjects:
  • Physics - Yes I am engineer so it ought to be one of them, But not only that, its nevertheless one of the most fascinating subject that comes the closest to satisfying the rational human mind. I know Physics is quite a vast subject and one of most dreaded too but I do want to understand the logic behind all the theories and stuffs.
  • History - This is one subject thats one of my favorite and the reason I love reading books. Although I do read fiction at times to lighten up my mind but history n non-fiction is by far my most lovable subject, This was one reason I scored so high in Social Studies in my higher secondary. Ok again in history we have ancient, medieval and modern history. I don't know which one I will read more but nevertheless I will.
  • Theology - Although not that different from History in broader sense but study of religions is one thing I really want to do because this is one thing that has been responsible for changing the face of the world all the times. Be it partition of India, Holocaust ,Jehad , you just name it. In fact for sure one of my book will definitely be about religion and India if not world religion. In fact I have even thought of the name but I will disclose it the day I will really start writing it :)
  • Psychology - One of my favorite topic. Intially I wanted to study this subject to understand people but now I want to pursue it more to understand my own actions, Whether what all I think or do or feel is normal or I am really a psycho :). Although every now and then I can find some instances where others also feel and behave like me but still. Thats why I like to watch the reality shows like Roadies, Emotional Attachayar etc , seeing which I feel so bemused. It really surprises me to see that such people do exist and kind of make me appreciate myself.
Thats all. May be I will add some more but nevertheless this is something that I will really do.

3 comments:

  1. Kudos!! Way to go. Do keep the blog updated with the way it's going. It'll be definitely an interesting read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. dude :)..seeing BIG BANG you came up with this idea :)...only you could :)

    BRAVO !! likh daalo

    ReplyDelete