Sunday, February 13, 2011

Why get married ??? Part I....

For long time I had the cushion of having an elder sister who is yet to get married and then the fact that I am quite confident of talking my parents out of getting me married.

But now since its very likely that my sis is gonna get married in a year or two and also my parents every now n then brings up the topic of getting me sacrificed too, I have started to weigh this possibilty of scummbing to their pressure. Another reason being the fact that in the last few months I have seen parents of my friends going through so much while arranging for their weddings , be it meeting or talking with the reluctant parents of the bride, or searching for prospective brides for them, or making arrangements etc. So somehow I don't want to cause undue tensions among my folks by being too adamant.

But I still want to plan everything out according to my terms.

It seems its gonna be a huge post so I plan to split it into two, so that those souls who somehow will be generous enough to start reading it won't be forced to leave it midway :)

The first part I plan to talk about is why I don't want to get married and in the second I will talk what all I want first to happen.

Ok so coming to this post.

There are two primary reason for my aversion to getting married.

Even when I used to think that someday I may be in a relationship with "Her" I never visualised myself getting married to her. Ok thats another thing that with her I never wanted anything other than being a closest friend but still one or two times when it did cross my mind I never felt the conviction for that to happen. This was because, also happens to be the second reason, I am not comfortable with the fact that in India a marriage is not just the official bonding of two people ,rather its coming together of two whole families and that too not only at the second generation level but also at generation preceding to that. I just cannot accept that people who will have no say or interest in my life will play a role during that time. To be more clear I am most uncomfortable with the ceremonies around marriage. I don't understand why we have lavish ceremonies and why can't we keep it to some low key. To most of the people it doesn't matter that you are getting married , for them its just food, fun and photos. I do appreciate some genuine people and the fun we have but I really don't understand the need for all that fuss. I will prefer a low key court marriage followed by dinner with our immediate family.

So coming to the first primary reason,its the fact I din't want an arrange marriage because I feel an arrange marriage is a forced marriage between two people who leave spending time together would have never talked at all if they have not been asked initially by their parents. I know marriage's second name is adjustment , adjustment with your wishes , with your wants , with your desires but atleast in love marriage you or the other person is not adjusting with their choice. I agree that in arranged marriage too we get a chance to select the one we want to marry but still since the first meeting till the day it gets fixed there is lot of pretention and favorable environment that makes it happen. Also you are asked to decide in few meetings. Somehow it lacks the genuineness of love marriage where you genuinely get to know and spend time with each other beforehand.


To be continued.....


6 comments:

  1. :) :) :)
    I can't stop smiling because you sound so similar to what I used to be before marriage. :)
    I was also staunchly against the concept of arranged marriage and the relatives-poking-into-my-life thing. Never understood how two people who don't even know each other just start living together.
    But, now...after having married, and that too married in the arranged manner, I enjoy everything. All my anxieties and fears are put to rest. It doesn't really matter that much whether you meet an year before marrying or a few days before marriage. It's the same. It's beautiful. You'll enjoy it all the more when you know that your parents, your family is also happy with your happiness. They are happy seeing you with her. And, as for your happiness, trust me, it'll be there too. It's not like you sacrifice your happiness for theirs. It seems so but it isn't.
    And, for the ceremonies, interference n stuff...it's all there in love marriage too. It totally depends on what you allow to enter your life and what you don't. It's just about putting your foot down when you think it's going over-board. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well coming from the horse's mouth :)

    Just to clarify the second reason was irrespective of whether I have love or arrange marriage.... so you are right things are same for both :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @hope: Thank god, you found someone really good :) Not everyone is lucky enough. I dont despise arrange marriages anymore since that seems like the only viable option now :P But, jokes apart, the deal is that the process of meeting someone like that involves the process of JUDGING the other person, which seems disgusting. I am ok with being judged myself :P but judging someone else "BAD"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol if Swat laughed after reading my thoughts then its now my time to laugh after reading yours... :) Sid you being younger to me at times show me my past much earlier than I had expected to reflect on :).... Well we all start against the arrange marriage with the same feeling "How can I judge someone? Its not possible for me to reject someone when I am myself not that perfect? I will say yes to the first girl I ever meet for that purpose "...blah blah.... BUt as you grow up you realize that its part n parcel of the game...you too will get rejected , you will realize when you will come to that moment that rejection is better option for both rather than saying yes and suffering and you are not being wrong by being choosy :)

    Just to clear , although I sound like a pro but I am far far away from even seeing the first girl..its just what I have understood from seeing my friends and other people :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. are bhaiya yahan to is baat ki tension hai ki 1-2 baar milke kya pata chalega kisike baare main....kuch log bahut irritating hote hain...aisi koi mil gayi to by god :-P lag jayegi aapki :-P hai ki nahi ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Guys!! Hold on! I know you'll laugh hard or say 'ya ya we know that God thing and faith stuff' but if ever God has shown his miracle to me directly and clearly, it was in this phase of marriage. I'll just say ---------
    'You'll get married only to the girl who was meant for you and no one else. So, if you believe this to be an axiom (a universal truth) then every other theory/anxiety/question will be answered.'
    Q 1. how will I know she's the one?
    Ans. Try saying yes to anyone else, and things will not fall into place.
    Q 2. What if she turns out to be a complete blonde?
    Ans. Let me put it in a guy's way : Girls are by default blonde. They turn brunettes after being with you. Blondes are beautiful and that's why you start liking them. And, that's how you stay glued to them. :P
    [PS: I don't believe this to be completely true but giving you the girl's analogy wouldn't have helped. You wouldn't understand anyways. :)]

    A thought line shared
    "There's nothing like a perfect relationship. The people in the relationship make it perfect and beautiful. "

    ReplyDelete