Monday, July 27, 2009

Dance and Movies......Weekend Snippets

This weekend we changed the place from where we were initially learning dance (read P T) as we had already changed three instructors there and all of them had the same problem of not paying attention to, lets forget the minute details, even the basic details of each step.

So we went to a new place named "Pink Rockers" and so far its better.

Well I completed reading both the "A Thousand Splendid Suns" and its predecessor "A Kite Runner" (in the same order as written here). And both the books are must read kind of books. Since I read Kite Runner later so its more fresh in my memory and hence I am more in awe of that but nevertheless Kite Runner is a very well written book , quite high on emotions and the way it portrays the darker side of Amir, the main protagonist, you never feel anything bad about that guy rather you always feel bad for him. The only thing I personally felt lacking was Hassan's side of story. Ok may be the people who have read the book won't agree with me but I just felt that it would have been good to know his side. Just like Amir wanted Hassan to hit him back with the Pomegranate, in the same way I wanted Hassan to speak up but may be thats what made his character so adorable.

Actually since I read A Thousand Splendid Suns first, I liked the way he simultaneously kept telling the sides of both Mariam and Laila and this helped one understand both's perspective.

Anyways both books are beautiful and give you an insight to the history of Afghanistan and creates a sorry but sympathetic picture of that country.

As I completed Kite Runner on Friday so on Saturday I watched "Kite Runner" the film and as already put forward by one of my friend. The movie is just a fast paced account of the book. And as felt by most a movie cannot create the emotions in the same way as the author has created through the book.

Just two things in which I felt the director did a good job were that he took the liberty to show the reason of why Amir and his father had to leave Afghanistan which the book never mentioned and secondly the last scene in which he shows Amir flying the kite and then running it for Sohrab. The emotions related to that scene were beautifully shown.

A so - so movie if you have read the book.

Moving ahead then I watched "Hangover", a funny movie about friends who go to Vegas to celebrate one of their friend's Bachelor's party and then after consuming alcohol mixed with Date Rape drug they get up the next morning in a mess and they cannot find their friend who is getting married and because of the drug they cannot remember anything that happened last night. So its story of how they trace back what they did last night and ultimately find their friend.

Then I completed Finding Nemo which I was seeing in pieces since last few days. Another lovely animated movie and beautifully portrays a father-son relation.

And lastly on Sunday night I watched "Pursuit of Happyness" a biography of Chris Gardner and his struggle from being a non-selling salesman to a successful stock broker. An interesting thing that happened was after I copied this from one of my friend I changed the title by replacing the y by i in Happiness as I thought that person has misspelled it by mistake but as soon as I started the movie and they started the credits I found that the spelling was intentional and now I know that its related to the story.

Well its a lovely movie and Will Smith is too good. Its just that I din't find it that sad except the time when he cries while sleeping with his son in the toilet of that Railway station or the time when he sells his blood for money. Apart from that I found his story quite filled with hard work and at times luck (when he shows up at the Ceo Robbbins and then by luck accompanies him to the ball game which although doesn't result in him getting the contract from him but he manages to get contacts of other important people who later help him meet his target and get the job.)

A slept a lot too this weekend with a stretch of 4 hours sleep in the afternoon both on Saturday and Sunday. And also had to bear an agonizing pain in my stomach for no reason.

Also vented my unwanted anger at some one who as always ignored it.

Nevertheless a weekend filled of anger, expressing myself, sleep, exercise(not started with dancing yet) and movies......

2 comments: