Thursday, July 23, 2009

Meera Bai...

Well recently on TV (I forgot the channel) they are airing a promo of a new serial which is based on the life of Meera Bai.

Meera Bai was a princess of some province in Rajasthan, I guess Mewar and when she was a kid , on, seeing one of her closed one getting married, she pesterd her Mom to get her married too . And finding her not being bobbed down on being told that she can't marry now , her mother gave her an idol of Lord Krishna and told her that this is your husband and you can get married to him now. And after that she devoted her whole life to Lord Krishna. She was so devoted to him that even after being forced to marry Bhojraj she never accepted him as her husband. And finally seeing her undivided devotion, her mother in law gave her poison and she readily drank it and died.

Ok , so actually this post isn't about Meera bai. With due respect to her and her devotion , I never really liked her character and one reason for this was that way back in school , while I was studying in 3rd or 4th standard at Jaipur , we enacted this play and in that play I played the part of Bhojraj :). And a very good friend of mine played Meera Bai. My elder sister (Didibhai) played the part of my mother.

I still remember the day the castings were announced. I was very happy (and as always I showed my expressions too loudly)as I was Bhojraj and my friend was Meera Bai but that evening Didibhai came to me and told me that my friend cried in front of her saying that she don't want to play my wife as she always looked up to me as her brother (till this day this one line never left me, I still hear it from those quarters from where I never wanted it to be said).

So it made me sad (although it makes me laugh too) and I remember throughout the rehersals and the play she couldn't accept it and was always miffed because of this. She even shrugged it off when on the day of the play I ran backstage towards her to tell her that for poison we are using Coke. All those moments still flashes in front of my eyes as if it happened just yesterday.

Ironically I thought of writing this post the day I saw that promo(which was few days back) but couldn't get time and today when I am writing this , I just got the news that she is getting married this November. It makes me so happy for her and thats why just after knowing this news I wanted to write this post at any cost :)

She is a very good friend of mine and despite not being in touch after I left Jaipur in 1994, after almost 13-14 years she searched and found me on orkut.

May God bless her and give her a very happy and prosperous married life :)..Ameen

2 comments:

  1. Loved the part "I ran backstage towards her to tell her that for poison we are using Coke." hehehe! All of us have such sweet, innocent events in our childhood. Putting them in blog and reading them later is such fun. Reminiscizing childhood is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete