Thursday, January 7, 2010

Books I have read or reading ....

Its been a while since I updated about the books that I have read or reading.

In the last year I have read more than 20 books so on that front it was a remarkable year. It also firmed my believe that one should never stop reading. Although I started regular reading late but now it is something that I want to carry on for life.

So in the last few months I have read Freedom at Midnight by Dominique Lapiere and Larry Collins and must say a must read book for every Indian. Its a non fiction book that covers the events that happened in and around India's independence year including the partition, its reason, effects, who was responsible, how it was carried, the events before and after it. Then it mentioned in detail about Bapu (Mahatma Gandhi), his decision and stances during those troubled times, how he single handedly averted the ill effects of partition in Bengal when even 55000 policemen could do nothing in Punjab.

This book touched certain aspects of Bapu's life and beliefs which both increased and diminished my respect for him.

It also covered in detail his assassination by the Hindu extremists. Infact the authors reconstructed the complete assassination bid with the help of Nathuram Godse's brother and surviving convicts.

Since the book is written by foreigners (read non Hindu or non Muslim) so I really believe in the authenticity of the content, although they have been accused of being pro-British because of their elongated meetings with Lord Mountbatten, the last Viceroy of India, during their research for this book.

They are so many incidents that are nerve wrecking and hair raising so I will really recommend reading it for all those who want to know about India's recent history. The world renowned movie Gandhi's some part were based on this book.

After that I read Two States by Chetan Bhagat and as I had already mentioned its a lovely entertaining book, maybe I liked it because it does not deal with teenage or collegiate romance. It talks about the part after the mushy mushy part is done with i.e. the part which involves marriage and parents. Its both amusing as well as highlights the two different cultures of India in such a way that you can both relate as well as feel pity at the irrational traditions. But its indeed according to me the best book of Chetan Bhagat.

After that I started with Papillon which is an autobiography of Henri Charriere a french convict who falsely get accused with a murder and is sentenced to life imprisonment in the hostile prisons of French penal settlement at an young age of 25. So its a story of his stay or rather escapes from these prisons. His continued failed attempts and the brutality mentioned in the prisons is what makes its an interesting read.

This book was recommended by my colleague who spoke very highly about it telling me that once picked you won't be able to keep it down till you complete it and you will definitely be impressed by it. And I will say I wasn't disappointed , but despite being constantly highlighted by the author that he is suffering miserably for no wrongdoings of his, it failed to stir any feelings of sympathy in me for him. I never felt how sad but yes his courage, luck and bravery is really commendable. A really intriguing and adventurous story.

Currently I am reading O Jerusalem another controversial topic covered by Dominique Lapiere and Larry Collins. Jerusalem and in fact the conflict between Jews, Arabs and Christians is something that fascinates me and something about which I am curious. I have just started it and will give my comments later but have heard its indeed a masterpiece.

So that's all on reading front. Will keep updating and do recommend me some interesting reads.

No comments:

Post a Comment